|Full Name||Manish Dhakal|
|Position||Research Assistant, NAAMII|
|Summary||An accomplished computer engineer with experience as a Research Assistant (RA), interested in multimodal learning, medical imaging, and continual learning, skilled in maths and programming, and adept at communicating research results to the community, contributing to advancements in artificial intelligence research.|
Apr. 2022 - Present
Nepal Applied Mathematics and Informatics Institute for research (NAAMII)
Supervisor: Bishesh Khanal, Ph.D.
- Developed skills for object detection and segmentation tasks on 2D medical images and explored their multi-modal approach ( esp. vision-language models ); also worked for segmentation with 3D mesh data.
- Demonstrated strong skills in writing scientific manuscripts, with multiple papers submitted for review, showcasing the ability to communicate methodologies, results, and implications effectively.
- Ensured reproducibility and modularity in ML projects by implementing robust methodologies and practices, allowing for the transparent and replicable programming of the projects.
Aug. 2021 - Dec. 2021
- Wrote smart contracts in Haskell language using the Plutus framework for the Cardano ecosystem.
- Improved software development skills by learning new tools and techniques that assist in completing the project.
Sept. 2020 - Present
- Co-founded Nepal-based company providing software solutions such as websites, electronic health record management systems, data visualization interfaces, and IoT-based solutions as well.
- Coordinated with clients to understand their requirements and provided them with feasible and impactful solutions.
- Worked as a frontend developer with ReactJS and backend developer with Django and FastAPI for web applications.
2017 - 2022
Bachelor in Computer Engineering
Pulchowk Campus, Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University
Thesis Supervisor: Prof. Subarna Shakya
- Ranked 11th in the engineering entrance exam, competing with 15,000+ candidates, received full scholarship for undergraduate study.
- Gained knowledge about significant CS courses like AI, Image Processing, Data Structure & Algorithm, DBMS, Software Engineering, and so on.
- Thesis: Automatic speech recognition for low-resourced Nepali language which was later presented at an IEEE conference.
June 2023 - Present
Community Eye, ENT & Rehabilitation Center (CEERS)
- Training a group of interns to develop medical imaging applications with the use of ML.
- Instructing and guiding them about ML through activities like paper reading sessions, lab and lecture sessions, and topic presentations.
May 2023 - June 2023
4th Annual Nepal AI School (ANAIS)
- Guided participants through a series of labs related to neural networks, transformers, federated learning, graph neural networks, active learning, and so on.
- Mentored three groups during Hack-a-Dev, a 10-day machine learning hackathon.
Software Fellowship, Locus 2021
- Provided tutoring on software development life cycle and assisted participants with software documentation and library/framework installation.
- Taught participants about API development for web applications, emphasizing its concepts, best practices, and usage.
Jul. 2023 - Sep. 2023
Lower Limb Segmentation
Supervisor: Taman Upadhaya, Ph.D.
- Conducted training experiments of different deep learning models on the remote server to segment three bones – knee, pelvis, and ankle – from CT scans of the lower limbs of patients.
- Deployed a robust Python rest API on the remote server for the segmentation request from a client, with a pipeline including pre-processing, inference, and post-processing steps.
- Ensured interoperability, reproducibility, and understandability of the deployed application using Docker, and well-structured documentation and comments.
Feb. 2023 - Jun. 2023
Vision Language Segmentation Models (VLSMs) for Medical Images
- Reported zero-shot and finetuned segmentation performance of 4 VLSMs on 11 medical datasets using 9 types of prompts derived from 14 attributes, prompts are given as text conditioning informations.
- Worked with encoder-decoder architecture to generate binary segmentation masks for VLSMs.
- Tested the compatibility of the VLSMs (such as CLIPSeg and CRIS) pre-trained for open-domain images with medical images.
Sept. 2022 - Present
Object detection in 2D Orthopantomogram (OPG) Images
- Critically analyzed the literature and state-of-the-art models for different segmentation and detection tasks on radiology images of dentistry and their inadequacy.
- Designed and developed the data annotation tool for object detection over 2D OPG images.
- Working on identification and localization of dental anatomical structures and abnormalities while benchmarking with existing methods like YOLO, RetinaNet, RCNN, and FastRCNN.
Segmentation in 3D Teeth Scan
MICCAI Challenge 2022
- Learned about the representation and preprocessing of 3D mesh and point cloud data.
- Benchmarked with different 3D point cloud segmentation models such as Pointnet/++ and DeltaConv.
- Machine Learning: Unimodal and multimodal (esp. vision-language model) ML project structuring for detection and segmentation task while maintaining reproducibility and modularity; integrating open source models for benchmarking. Proficiency in using libraries and frameworks like NumPy, Pandas, PyTorch, and TensorFlow.
- Writing: Knowledge synthesis from the existing literature, writing scientific documents and manuscripts with LaTex, and communicating the results to the community with transparency.
- Web Development: Competence in creating well-documented backend applications with relational databases using frameworks like Django, FastAPI, and NodeJS. Adept at client-side programming with ReactJS.
- Remote Server: Able to work with remote Linux machines for coding and project deployment using SSH, shell script, tmux, Nginx, and Docker.
Open Source Projects
Honors and Awards
- B.E. funded by Government of Nepal.
- Medical Imaging
- Vision Language Model
Bishesh Khanal, Ph.D.
- Research Director, Nepal Applied Mathematics and Informatics Institute for research (NAAMII)
- [email protected]
Prof. Subarna Shakya
- Professor of Computer Engineering, Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University
- [email protected]
Taman Upadhaya, Ph.D.
- Associate Researcher, University of California San Francisco || Adjunct Research Scientist, Nepal Applied Mathematics and Informatics Institute for research (NAAMII)
- [email protected]